Make The Move To Your New Home An Easy One With These Moving Preparation Tips
Yesterday I talked about making a move to your new home as stress free as possible. One of the major tips to making your move less stressful is to plan ahead. In the my case, the move into our new home happened so quick, I didn't have time to plan; we closed escrow on Wednesday, and by Sunday, we were moved out and in our new home. This quick move added a lot more stress to me than would have if we had more time to prepare.
The following tips will help you prepare for the move to your new home, assuming you have the time to prepare and plan, which will make you less stressed.
First, plan your move.
- Decide if you are going to hire a moving company or do the move yourself, and then set a budget accordingly.
- Create a list of your belongings and divide them into items that need to be shipped (if moving far away) and items than you can move on your own.
- Identify which items require special packing i.e. breakables and valuables
- Give yourself a goal move in date to be finished by. This will help keep you on track
Second, what you can do ahead of time to prepare.
- Submit change of address forms to the post office
- Organize all your important paper work
- Change your utilities to the new home, cancel ones you no longer need, and add ones you do
- Start going through you items to de-clutter and pack up items that you don't need to use before you move.
Third, moving into your new home
- Check your home to make sure your utilities have been connected and that appliances are all working properly. Take note of ones that need to be fixed or changed out.
- Verify that your mail is being delivered to your new address
- Keep all receipts from moving, i.e. truck rental or shipments you made
- Purchase or update your Ca home insurance policy with your new address and any other information that could affect your rates.
- Finally, enjoy your new home and the amazing feeling of this purchase!